Monographs of common natural health products used by breast cancer patients
CAMEO and the Ottawa Integrative Cancer Centre are pleased to announce the first of their evidence-based patient monographs for natural health products. Our collaborative team has identified the top five natural health products (NHP) of interest to women living with or at risk of breast cancer. We have systematically reviewed their safety and efficacy in the context of breast cancer, and developed patient and health care provider (clinician) versions that summarize this information and provide guidelines for the use or avoidance of these NHPs.
|Patient version||Health care provider version|
These versions (v1.2) were updated 2013-08-20 to include safety information specific to hormone-sensitive cancers.
CAMEO's publications in peer-reviewed journals
- Balneaves LG, Truant TLO, Verhoef MJ, Porcino AJ, Ross BC, Wong ME, & Brazier AS. The Complementary Medicine Education and Outcomes Program (CAMEO) Program: A Foundation for Patient and Health Professional Education and Decision Support Programs. Patient Education & Counseling. 2012: 89(3).461-66. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.pec.2012.01.005
- Truant TLO, Porcino AJ, Ross BC, Wong ME, Hilario CT. Complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) use in advanced cancer: a systematic review. Journal of Supportive Oncology. 2013: 11(3):105 – 113. Doi: 10.12788/j.suponc.0011 CAM_in_Advanced_Cancer
Other useful CAM documents
- Canadian Cancer Society—Complementary Therapies: A guide for people with cancer. Download from: The Society’s publications webpage. Hard copies are also available by request.
- World Cancer Research Fund/American Institute for Cancer Research—Food, Nutrition, Physical Activity, and the Prevention of Cancer: a Global Perspective. Download from: http://www.dietandcancerreport.org
- The Society for Integrative Oncology (SIO)—Practice Guidelines. This link takes you to an introduction to the SIO guidelines and links to the current versions of the guidelines. Guidelines currently include Integrative Medicine for CAM and Cancer, as well as guidelines specific to breast and lung cancers. Dr. Balneaves, Principal Investigator of the CAMEO Program, is one of the SIO team members working on the guidelines.
This information is not intended to be a basis for clinical recommendations or an endorsement of any CAM therapy. Any changes in your health management plan should be discussed with your health care provider.